The Zunyi Conference Site

Red Culture Museum

The Zunyi Conference Site

by Live in Guizhou


Image Source: Eyesnews

Located in Zunyi city, Guizhou province, the Zunyi Conference Site opened to the public in October 1955. It was established to commemorate the Zunyi Conference (1935), which has great historical significance for the Communist Party of China (CPC).

The Zunyi Conference (January 15 to 17, 1935) was an extremely important expansion meeting of the Political Bureau of the CPC Central Committee. The three-day session was held to reflect on the defeat of the Red Army in its fifth battle against the national army of the Republic of China and the poor military strategy that had crippled them in the early period of the Long March (1934-1936). In March 1961, the State Council designated the site of the Zunyi Conference as one of the foremost protected cultural heritage sites in the country. Three years later, in 1964, Chairman Mao Zedong inscribed the six-character title of the site, “Zunyi Conference Site” (zunyi huiyi huizhi),for the Site.

The Zunyi Conference Site consists of several sites related to this historical incident , including the Zunyi Conference site, the Headquarters of the General Political Bureau of the Red Army, the Meeting Venue for the Red Army Cadres, the site of the National Bank of the Chinese Soviet Republic, the site of the Zunyi garrison headquarters, the temporary residences of Mao Zedong, Zhang Wentian, Wang Jiaxiang, Bo Gu, Otto Braun (the Comintern agent sent to China), and Deng Xiaoping, agallery of historical items for the conference, and acemetery for Red Army martyrs.

The Zunyi Conference site was originally a private residence. A boat-shaped building extends between the main building and the inter-yard, which was originally a drying room where the house owner made sauces and dried and stored beans. During the conference, it served as the kitchen of the Headquarters of the General Political Bureau. The two-story residence is dated to the early 1930s.