The Zunyi Conference Site

Culture

The Zunyi Conference Site

by Live in Guizhou


Image Source: China Daily

The Zunyi Conference Site is located on Hongqi Road, Zunyi City, Guizhou Province. In 1955, the Memorial to the Zunyi Conference was built here. In 1964, Mao Zedong inscribed the name of the memorial.

The Zunyi Conference site was originally a private residence. A boat-shaped building extends between the main building and the inter-yard, which was originally a drying room where the house owner made sauces and dried and stored beans. During the conference, it served as the kitchen of the Headquarters of the General Political Bureau.

The two-story residence is dated to the early 1930s. The conference took place in a spacious room (27 square meters) on the second floor, which still contains the original furnishings present when the meeting was held, including the rectangle wooden table surrounded by rattan chairs and the clock on the wall that timed the meeting of the top leaders of the Chinese Revolution.

During the Long March, Mao Zedong and other Communist Party of China (CPC) leaders gathered in Zunyi for a critical meeting that resulted in a significant shift of power within the Party. It replaced the top commanding right of Bo Gu and Li De with the Central Commanding Group consisting of Mao Zedong, Zhou Enlai and Wang Jiaxiang. The Zunyi Conference was an influential event in the history of the CPC.